Window replacement can have a huge impact on your home’s overall curb appeal, energy efficiency and comfort. Before investing in this project, though, you should consider a couple of things to help you make informed decisions.
Choosing the Best Window Style
Finding the right window is about addressing your preferences and your needs. To do that, you need to know what your options are. Here’s a look at some of the popular window styles available on the market today:
- Double-hung windows
- Casement windows
- Sliding windows
- Fixed windows (picture windows)
- Awning windows
Whether you’re tackling a kitchen renovation or updating the look of your living room, the right window style should match the rest of your interior. Turn to the window replacement pros to help you choose the best option.
Choosing Your Window Based on Climate
In addition to window styles, your chosen replacement windows should be energy-efficient as well. Consider windows with ENERGY STAR® labels; these mean they are certified to meet the requirements in your climate zone.
ENERGY STAR-certified windows must also have certified U-factor and solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) ratings. Here’s what you need to know:
- U-factor – This measures heat loss through the window. The lower the U-factor, the greater resistance to heat flow. In St. Louis County, windows must have a U-factor of 0.30 or less.
- SHGC – This measures the heat gained from direct sunlight. In St. Louis County, windows must have an SHGC rating of 0.40 or less.
ecoSmart 365 Windows
At STL Design and Build, we offer the ecoSmart 365 window system from Great Lakes® Window. This new product provides optimal energy efficiency. These windows also feature the following:
- Exclusive patented insulation foam on all frame and sash cavities, with an R-value of 7.25 per inch of thickness;
- High-performance EnergyTek spacer to enhance energy efficiency;
- Durable, full-composite ecoCore reinforcement for added strength and protection of your home; and
- Energy Guard 3KR Performance Glass that brings crystal-clear views and unparalleled protection and comfort.
If you are looking for replacement windows that can meet the high demands of our local weather, then look no further STL Design and Build. You can also count on us for your deck design and home remodeling needs. Call (314) 736-5800 today, or fill out our contact form to request a free quote.