Even with a fully functional HVAC system, you should not overlook the benefits of natural ventilation. The right window styles can get you optimal ventilation – an important consideration when buying replacement windows. Here are window styles that can help improve home ventilation.
How Natural Ventilation Works
Natural ventilation requires airflow that should flush out stale air from the indoors and replenish it with fresh air from the outdoors. Airflow comes from a natural breeze or from the air pressure differences between the indoor and outdoor spaces, and not through mechanical systems like the air handler in your HVAC system. To create airflow using differences in air pressure, a room needs to have two openings. One window vents out stale air from the inside. This creates negative air pressure that pulls fresh air through a second window.
Benefits of Natural Ventilation
Regularly opening the windows can provide the following benefits:
- Maintain indoor air quality. Natural ventilation helps maintain indoor air quality by keeping indoor air pollutant levels, including mold spores and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), to a minimum.
- Maintain relative indoor humidity levels. Flushing out excess humidity can help maintain comfort inside your home. It can also help reduce the risks of damage caused by excess moisture, including mold growth.
- Natural cooling. During the summer season, open windows can catch a light breeze and help cool the room, which can help reduce the workload on your air conditioner.
The Best Window Styles for Home Ventilation
While any window style can be used for ventilation, the following are more efficient than others:
- Casement windows feature hinged sashes that cover the window area, which allows use of the entire window area for ventilation. They can also be used to catch a side breeze or wind that moves along the exterior wall.
- Sliding windows have sashes that open sideways. You can easily adjust the size of the openings depending on how much airflow you need. They can also be opened to full capacity by removing the sashes.
- Double-hung windows are especially efficient in small rooms that can accommodate only one window. The sashes can be opened in such a way that it creates two openings – one for venting stale air, another for letting in fresh air.
STL Design and Build provides window replacement services to customers in greater St. Louis and the surrounding communities. Give us a call at (314) 736-5800, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.