A contract is essential for all remodeling projects. It ensures that your vision is in line with your contractor and is essential for your project to run smoothly. Keep in mind that it should have the names of the homeowner, contractor, location of the property and a detailed description of the job.
Here are things that should be present in your home remodeling contract:
1. The contractor’s complete name, address, phone number and license number.
2. Specifications on the business status of the contractor. It should be stated whether the contractor is independent or not.
3. Things that the contractor will and will not do.
4. Estimated start and end date of the project.
5. All necessary design plans. For instance, you’re working on remodeling your outdoor living spaces, make sure to study the deck design carefully. Approve the plans, and see that they are included in your contract before the work starts.
6. A written statement of your right to cancel the contract without penalty within three business days of signing.
7. Specified terms of payment. It should be written in a way you understand and state the total price, payment schedule and cancellation penalties.
8. A binding arbitration clause. You’ll need it if you encounter any disagreement with your contractor. It may let you settle disputes without litigation.
9. All the things you requested. Make sure the entire scope of the project is listed, and all the items you’ve requested are specified. Only sign a complete contract.
10. A detailed description of the warranty. It should be emphasized whether the contract is full or limited as well as its validity. The name and address of the party who will honor the warranty must be written.
At STL Design and Build, we believe that communication is key to a successful remodeling project. We’re insured and fully compliant for all compensation requirements for workers. You can count on us for your bath, deck and kitchen renovation. Call us at (314) 736-5800, or fill out our online form for a free estimate.